This might be the prettiest salad I’ve ever seen. The colors are so lovely!
I’m on this mission to eat less bad carbs (yeah I know, blah), so especially at lunch, I’m trying to eat more protein and fruits and vegetables. This salad helps me out a lot! It’s filling, beautiful, has vegetables AND protein!….oh and it is delicious. If you are out of one of the ingredients, don’t let that stop you from making the salad, it will still taste great. I actually tasted it before I added the avocado and it was still wonderful.
Because we are having June weather in March (I’m totally confused by the weather this entire year), I thought I should post something light and spring-like. This could serve as a light lunch, a side dish…a great dish to take to a potluck! I love potlucks. They are my favorite.
Black Bean Salad
- 2 15-ounce can black beans, reduced sodium, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, no salt added
- tomatoes – 2 regular, diced or grape tomatoes, cut in half (I used grape because that is what tastes good now, use whatever is in season or is looking good)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (be sure to zest limes before juicing them)
- ½-1 cup chopped cilantro, plus more to garnish
- 2 avocados, diced
- optional: cucumbers, bell peppers, or anything else that sounds good!
- Combine all ingredients except avocados in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight. Right before serving, add avocados and mix gently, being careful not to mash avocados. Garnish with a few sprigs of freshly chopped cilantro if desired.
Adapted from onceuponachef.com